Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Whiplash.. 

So much love in the movie.. the irrational rationale of a being so extraordinary that it brings about childhood memories of many. Less extreme perhaps.. but every so relevant. In the Singaporean context, perhaps army boys.. In school, not unlike that perversely pedantic English teacher who reign supreme and induces feverish shudders as the deadline for assignments drew near. 

He once gave me a few words that i feel mirrors this quite succinctly. "Give your garden water in the form of sweat." nothing lyrical, just in a just simile for me to guide myself when I have graduated and am away from this "torment". 

The movie grabs my pupils and reigned them in. A mental tug-o-war that was won over the moment Terence Fletcher collapsed upon the peaceful symphony and "demolished" my preconceptions based on the earlier reviews. This piece driven in part by what was seen, more by what has been heard and more so even by the memories of that one demonic mentor who sort not only to raise us to standards.. but also spring us beyond. Not sure if you can see this but I hope this reaches you somehow. 

To that English Teacher, I hold in my mind forever, momentary bursts of mild contempt as I look upon my younger foolish self but always with the holding gaze of awe and a standing ovation from afar.

No comments: